Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Bachelorette

I’ll admit it. I watch The Bachelorette. I managed to avoid The Bachelor/Bachelorette for several seasons, maybe even since the Bob Guiney days, until this past season. Don’t worry. It was not my love for cheese ball Jake that reeled me in. I simply forgot how much I enjoy watching a good trainwreck, and in the world of trainwrecks, it just doesn’t get much better. It also helps that I have more freedom to access my DVR these days. You know, without work and other minor things to get in the way. I find myself following a lot of television shows that I haven’t had time for in the past. I think I just painted a picture of myself sitting on the couch all day eating bonbons, watching my “stories,” as my grandparents refer to their beloved soap operas, while Izzy is stuck in a playpen in the corner. Well, if it makes you feel better, I prefer cookies over bonbons, I get caught up on most of my “stories” after Izzy goes to bed, we have no playpen, and I think it goes without saying that nobody puts baby in the corner! All this to say that I am shamefully back on board with The Bachelor/Bachelorette.

Obviously, as with every reality show, there are people who participate just to get their 15 minutes of fame. The B/B-ette certainly has its share of these types, but it’s the ones who are completely sincere and are truly looking for their spouse on a reality television show I have to wonder about. Let’s take last year’s finale for instance. Jake had narrowed down the group to two women: Tenley, whom despite the fact that she just about beat me down with her baby talk every week, seemed like a really genuine person, and Vienna sausage. He went on and on about how this was the hardest decision of his life, he didn’t know who to choose, yadda yadda yadda. I know that everything is dramatized for ratings, but I’m not sure that I would be okay accepting a proposal from a man who a) up until 2 minutes ago, was dating another woman, and b) basically flipped a coin to decide which of us he wanted as his wife. Apparently it worked though, because he and the sausage seemed happy on Dancing with the Stars. Not that I watch that show or anything. Ahem.

So, on to this season. I’m honestly not a big fan of Ali’s. She was one of my favorites in the beginning last season, but somewhere along the line, she became an instigator and a bit of a cry baby. I have my suspicions about her dramatic exit from The Bachelor, and whether it was just a stunt to set her up to be the next Bachelorette. I mean, did you not make arrangements with your boss before you left to be on a national television show??? Seems like everyone else did, and I find it hard to believe she didn’t get the memo. Anyways, I wasn’t sure I was going to watch this season until I found out something that sealed the deal. One of Griff’s friend’s younger brother, Hunter, is a contestant this season. I’ve never even met Hunter, but it’s still fun to watch someone you “know of” on television. And he’s pretty entertaining so far.


Ali and Hunter

As for the rest of the guys, is it just me, or did Ali get some slim pickens? Even Griff (Yes, he is watching with me. He claims it's just because of Hunter, but I think he really likes the show. Shh…) pointed out that all the women on the Bachelor are smokin’ hot (His words. Hmmm…nobody he knew was on that show, and he still watched it. Things are starting to come together now.) and the guys on the Bachelorette are doucheriffic* (Also his word - see below for definition). I do have to agree, though. I saw maybe 4 or 5 guys worth keeping, and the rest I just didn’t get. I mean, the lawyer with the bad hair, the creepy outdoorsman, and the infamous Shooter??? Where do they find these people? And by the way Bachelorette, when someone’s job title is “entrepreneur,” that just means they’re unemployed. You aren’t fooling anyone. Looking forward to watching the chaos that will undoubtedly unfold this season!
*Definition of doucheriffic: this guy

4 comments:

  1. So is this "the depth of life" thing you refer to in your blog title? Nanna is lost. I watch Glee and Big Bang Theory, and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on, Nanna. Everyone needs a little trash tv in their lives, no? And it's hard not to continue watching this particular trash tv when each new week is promised to reveal the most dramatic rose ceremony EVER. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your generation can identify with it, mine had soaps. I used to fold diapers in the good old days, and watch one of them, though I can't remember which one now. It had Rachel in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom/Nanna, I didn't know you were watching Glee these days. I think it pretty much qualifies for the same category as the Bachelorette!

    ReplyDelete