Thursday, August 25, 2011

Potty Boot Camp: Day Three

I'm happy to report that today was So.Much.Better. than the last two days.  After breakfast, I spent 2 hours trying to get Izzy to use the potty.  She was naked on the bottom, so I knew I'd have to clean up a mess if she missed the potty.  She was actually very patient at first with sitting on the potty, but the last 30 minutes or so were crazy.  She kept getting up and dancing around the living room, and I was just a nervous wreck trying to get her to sit back down because I knew she probably needed to pee by now, and 1.) I was over cleaning up pee, and 2.) I wanted her to be successful.  So, she finally peed in the potty around 10:30am.  After we celebrated, I put her in a Pull-Up and switched to a much less stressful approach.  I set the timer, and took her to the potty every 30 minutes for the rest of the day.  From this point on, we used the big potty in her bathroom, which has a Dora training seat on it.  It was so much easier to keep her on that potty because she hasn't figured out that she can get down by herself yet (I took the step stool away from the potty and put it in front of the sink so she can wash her hands afterwards - definitely her favorite part of this whole process - who knew?), so she didn't fight to get off/down as much.  She just sat on the potty and we'd sing songs, read books, etc, and just wait until she went.  This worked really well, I was a much happier mama, and I think she was a much happier girl. 

So, here are the day 3 stats:
10 pees in the potty!! 
1 poop in the potty!!  - this was the first potty poop so far
1 poop in the Pull-Up - during lunch
1 pee in the Pull-Up - during nap
2 pees in the Pull-Up during awake time

I think the Pull-Up poop and the accident during nap should be expected for brand new potty trainers, so I don't really even count those.  So, basically, she had two accidents today.  Not too shabby! 

Now, I know using Pull-Ups may slow down the training process, but it's working for me now, so I will continue it for a week or so and then switch things up if needed.  She has yet to come to me and tell me she needs to go potty, but at least she is getting comfortable going on the potty and she's learning bladder control, too.  We'll get there, one baby step at a time.  I ordered some Gerber training panties on Amazon last night, so I should be getting those soon.  I plan to use them when she gets more reliable.  They have extra padding in the crotch to help with accidents, but they still feel like regular panties. 

So, after three days of intense potty training, the only thing I know for sure is that this potty training business is not for sissies.  Oh, and did you know that Skinny Girl has a sangria out now?  It's quite tasty, I should add. 


Coolest chick I know 

Eating her Emmy Ems, aka M&Ms, for being such a big girl

No comments:

Post a Comment