Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since this terrible tragedy.  It made such a huge impact in the lives of Americans that I think it will always feel fresh in memory.  I was in my uber 70's townhouse in Lubbock, getting ready for class during my third year at Tech when I heard the news.  I think one of my roomates was either watching the news or listening to the radio when she heard what happened and ran to tell me.  We were in shock and glued to the television all morning because classes were cancelled. 

I had recently started attending Late Night, a praise and worship service for college students at one of the local churches, and I remember calling to see if they would still be meeting that night.  We did meet, and the entire service was dedicated to praying and reflecting on the day's events.  It was pretty powerful to see hundreds of young students, huddled together in circles, praying aloud for our country, for our leaders, for those who lost their lives, for those who sacrificed their lives to save others, for those who lost loved ones, for those who would have to rebuild, and even for our enemies. 

Today at church, we prayed those same prayers, and it was just as emotional and powerful as it was 10 years ago.  May we never forget.

Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.    Romans 12:19




No comments:

Post a Comment