Wednesday, September 19, 2012

DIY Headband Holder

I pinned an idea for creating a headband holder out of an empty oatmeal container several months back, and I finally got around to making one.  Love it when that actually happens. 

So, here is the original version I found.
Source

Isn't that a great idea?  This crafty lady covered her oatmeal container in scrapbook paper, and left the lid functional so she could store other hair goodies inside.  I changed it up just a smidge by using fabric instead of paper and finishing out the top with a decorative wooden disc and finial. 

Here is what I started with.  After further brainstorming on this project, I decided to go back to Hobby Lobby to pick up two more wooden discs and one more wooden finial. 


And here is the finished product. 

 
 
First thing I did was paint all of the wooden pieces with some black acrylic paint using a foam brush.  Next, I took the lid off of the oatmeal container, hot glued my fabric in place, and hot glued a wooden disc to each end.  Then I had hubs cut the top part off of one of the finials  (actually, he did this before it was painted) to use as part of the base.  You can see I just hot glued it between the two discs.  And the second finial was glued to the top to give it a little decorative flair.  What would I be without my hot glue gun?  I shudder to think.
 



 
I think it turned out pretty darn cute.  And it hasn't fallen apart yet.  Always a plus. 
 

10 comments:

  1. You are kind of making me angry. Can I just pay you to do these super easy crafts for me? No, but seriously....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Don't get too angry. These supplies were hanging out for a good month before I even touched them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where in Hobby Lobby did you find the finials? How many total pieces do I need to get this exact look? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for not answering your questions! I have all but abandoned this blog lately. I don't recall the exact amount of fabric, but it wasn't much. I'm thinking 1/4 of a yard would be way more than enough.

    The finials are in the unfinished wood section of Hobby Lobby, next to all the big wooden letter and such. I used two finials for this project, just cut the top part off of the one holding up the canister.

    I'd love to see how your projects turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you post a video on youtube or in your blog on how to do do this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this! I mentioned it in my post! Thanks! http://bowsweet.blogspot.com/2013/12/tuesday-tips-headband-storage-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ran across this and it's super cute! Had one question. Did you hot glue the top shut or is it still functional with the wood base and finial on it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What size disc did u use for the bottom

    ReplyDelete