Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy 4th Birthday, Izzy!

How is it possible that I have a 4-year-old?  That's just crazy.  It seems like the baby and toddler stages flew by, and now I have this sweet little girl who can have real conversations.  Izzy is at such a fun age.  She says and does the funniest things, and there is never a dull moment with her around.  

 
Izzy is very big into imaginative play these days, and it's hilarious just to sit back and listen to the stories she comes up with.  I've noticed that a lot of her make believe scenes involve one friend hitting/being mean to/not sharing with/etc.... another friend and having to apologize.  Hmmm...could that possibly be because that scenario plays out about 100 times a day at our house between my children???  Why yes, I do believe so.  On the flip side though, they really do love each other.  Izzy is constantly giving Harper hugs and kisses, sometimes not so gently, but still.  And she is very protective of her little sister.  She isn't a fan of us dropping Harper off in the church nursery.  I have to assure her that the teachers will take good care of her baby sister.  Oh, my sweet big girl.

 
Izzy loves to sing, and is always singing songs she learns in church or at school.  She loves to listen to music and dance at home, but she always requests a "girl song."  If a boy is singing it, she won't have it.  So, that's where my good friend Pandora comes in.  If you listen to the Taylor Swift channel, you hardly ever get a boy song.  Now that she recognizes real, non-Disney songs that are played on the radio, when one that we've danced to at home comes on, she'll say, "That's our song, Mommy."  I love that. 

 
Griff and I have undoubtedly passed on our love of Mexican food to our 4-year-old.  If you ask her what she wants for dinner, there is a 99.9% chance she will answer quesadilla or bean burrito.  She also loves Spanish rice, guacamole, and chips and salsa.  A girl after her mama's heart.  We were driving on I-35 the other day, and she pointed and said, "Mommy, I see Rosa's.  I'm hungry."  Y'all, it was not even clearly visible from the interstate.  It was a block away, tucked away behind two other restaurants and a gym.  And yes, I take full responsibility.  Other favorite foods/snacks include chicken nuggets and french fries (surprise!), cuties, yogurt, cereal, pancakes, cheese, and pizza.  As you can see, she's a real health nut.
 
 
It has been awesome to watch her develop a love for Jesus in her sweet little heart.  She loves to "read" our bible and make up her own stories.  The cast of characters usually includes God, Jesus, and Sofia the First.  Our nightly prayers still include thanking God for play-doh, but she does include many family members as well.  And trust me when I say there is nothing cuter than a 4-year-old asking to read her "debotional."  Melt. My. Heart.
 
 
Izzy loves to play outside.  When the weather is nice, we walk to a little playground across the street from our neighborhood.  She gets so excited when other kids show up to play.  There is one little boy that we have seen there several times.  The first time we saw him, he was wearing a Cars shirt, so of course they were instant buds once Izzy saw that.  Every time they get to play together, he is Lightning McQueen, and Izzy is Holly Shiftwell.  It is the sweetest thing you've ever seen. 
 
She's also really into Thomas the Train, Sofia the First, Doc McStuffins, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and anything remotely related to princesses.  If it is pink, sparkly, or has a tiara, she's all over it.  She is beginning to really have an opinion about what she wears.  Let's just say her taste leans toward fancier fashions.  She would wear her favorite blue tutu everyday if I'd let her.  And I usually do because let's face it, there are bigger battles to be fought.  The other extreme is wanting to wear pajamas everywhere.  She has lots of super cute, girly pajamas and nightgowns, and she never wants to take them off.  Again, a girl after her mama's heart.
 
 
I love my little sidekick so much, and I'm so thankful for her - she is one of God's miracles, and I don't take that for granted.  This little girl is growing so fast, and I just want to soak in this stage as much as I can because I know it will pass too soon.  Happy birthday, Izzybelle!  To the moon and back.

No comments:

Post a Comment