Thursday, October 8, 2009

30 by 30


So, I’ve been checking out a few random blogs and searching for blog ideas, and I decided to make a 30 by 30 list. I love lists! This is a list of 30 things I want to accomplish before I turn 30. As much as I’d like to believe that my 30th birthday is years away, the truth is I’m 28 ½, and 30 will be here before I know it. I guess it could be worse. The hubs missed the boat on 30, and now has to make a 40 by 40 list. ;-) While there are a ton of things on my bucket list, like traveling to a gazillion different places I want to see, teaching Izzy how to read, ride a bike, etc., going back to school to pursue a master’s degree, etc., these 30 goals need to be accomplished in the next year and a half. Sooo…here they are. I’m having a little trouble thinking of two more. Any suggestions? Remember people, a year and a half! ;-)

1. Learn how to sew
2. Run a half-marathon (in training now!)
3. Get fit…for real!
4. Read all the books on my book shelf that haven’t been opened
5. Finish my wedding scrapbook (yes, from 5 ½ years ago!)
6. Climb another 14-er (this time without puking afterwards)
7. Visit Hawaii (currently working on this one)
8. Watch my baby girl take her first step
9. Do the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk
10. Learn how to use Photoshop
11. Take a cake decorating class
12. Learn how to use our camera…this means taking it off of the “auto” setting
13. Get involved in some sort of mommy and me group
14. Complete Izzy’s baby book and make a scrapbook for her, either digital or traditional
15. Volunteer for March of Dimes (kind of doing this now)
16. Help feed the homeless, preferably on Thanksgiving
17. Carve a pumpkin...can’t believe I haven’t already done this one!
18. Start co-managing our finances (I live with a CPA, so I’m clueless…never even see the bills…Suze Orman would be so disappointed)
19. Repaint and recover the “project” chair I got at a garage sale three years ago
20. Return to church as soon as Izzy is ready, officially join, and become an active member
21. Successfully grow at least one vegetable. I would say plant a garden, but I know me and that’s not going to happen. I’m thinking the little tomato bags I’ve seen hanging from porches…
22. Master the art of applying eye make-up. It never looks how I want it to look.
23. Embrace wine, or maybe I should just find the right wine…I really want to like it, but I just don’t
24. Order what I really want from the menu, from appetizer to dessert, guilt-free!
25. Get into yoga
26. Sleep at least 8 hours a night on a regular basis again
27. Meet more of our neighbors
28. Try at least one new restaurant a month
29. ???
30. ???

This list has inspired me to make an official bucket list as well. There’s just something about putting your goals in writing. Makes them a little more real. As cheesy as that sounds, it’s about to get even cheesier, but in a good way…I think. I recently saw an episode of Oprah where this little girl from Africa wrote down all of her goals and buried them under a rock. She’s now an adult, and among the goals she accomplished are moving to the USA, earning a bachelor’s and master’s degree, and she is currently working on her PhD. Each time she achieved a goal, she went back to Africa and crossed it off her list. I won’t be going to Africa each time I achieve a goal, but if I put it on my list, maybe I’ll get to visit at least once.

1 comment:

  1. I'm tired just reading your list! If you accomplish the first one and love it as much as I do, you can just scrap the rest of the list. There is always a project waiting....I think there's a Texas Tech quilt in my sewing closet that might get finished by the time Izzy graduates from Tech. I guess I need one of those rocks.

    ReplyDelete