Monday, February 1, 2010

A Heavenly Birthday

One year ago today, we met our sweet baby girl, Lily Grace. She was perfectly made, but born too early, and she left us much too soon. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and I know that ultimately, God is in control. I don’t think it was a coincidence that I made a last minute appointment to see my OB on January 29th, 2009, only to be rushed to the hospital. I was immediately put in trendelenburg position, basically lying on my head for three days. My feet never touched the ground after that doctor’s appointment, and I still delivered Lily three days later. I can only imagine what would have happened if I hadn’t gone to the doctor that day. I was at work that morning, getting ready for a full day on my feet, teaching 150 7th graders. I don’t think it was a coincidence that my labor miraculously stopped after Lily was born. Of course, we weren’t given the cold hard facts at the time, but my doctor had pretty much told my family there was very little hope that my labor could be stopped to save Isabelle. When the labor did stop, we had every doctor at Harris scratching their heads, and we were told over and over the rarity of our situation. I guess it's not everyday that twins are born 25 days apart. I don’t think it was a coincidence that we chose Isabelle’s name without knowing that it meant “God’s promise.” He sent us Lily to save Isabelle. When her work here was done, He needed her back in Heaven, where she will forever be Izzy's angel. I’m so thankful for the special moment we spent with Lily, and I am comforted in knowing that we held and loved her every single second of her precious life. Our hearts are heavy today, but our faith is abundant. Happy birthday, sweet baby girl!

4 comments:

  1. I do believe a part of Lily Grace will live on in Izzy. God blessings will always be with her, and I believe you know that because you will be bless also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never got a chance to meet Miss Lily, but I'm sure Her little sister kept me busy enough on my first day back to work after maternity leave to make up for it. I loved every second of caring for your daughter Izzy and hopes she continues to make as much progress as she has! Looks great and happy heavenly birthday Miss Lily Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm speechless at many things in this post, most importantly is your God centered faith and your recognition of what is to come from what has happened. Tears running down my cheeks...

    ReplyDelete