Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Potty Boot Camp: Day One

Well, we survived the first day of potty training.  I'm not going to lie, this was not my most favorite day.  There were tears - from Izzy and Mama.  But we made it, and I think she actually made a little bit of progress, so I'd chalk it up to a success.  I downloaded The Potty Bootcamp book online, and followed it pretty closely today.  The basic premise for day one is making the move to big girl panties and a LOT of time on the potty.  After breakfast, I sat her on the potty for 5 minutes, then she played off the potty for 10 minutes, and we repeated that again, and again, and again. 

Here's how it went down (I won't be offended if you choose to skip reading my blog for the next few days and return once the potty talk is over):

8:00-10:30 - 2 accidents, she just froze and stood in the pile of pee both times

10:30-11:00 - 1 accident, but she ran to the potty when she started peeing

11:10 - first pee pee in the potty!! 

11:25-1:00ish -She was sitting on the potty, and started fussing and squirming.  I thought maybe she needed to poop, but was scared to do it in the potty or in her big girl panties, so I tried a pull-up and then a diaper on her, and things got ugly.  She screamed at the top of her lungs, grabbed her crotch, and appeared to be in pain for pretty much a solid hour and a half.  She was a wreck, and she had me so worried about her that I was in tears.  I tried everything to calm her down - panties, pull-ups, diaper, naked, bath, nap, snacks, etc. - nothing worked.  I called my mom and Griff and I was thinking maybe her little girl parts were irritated or maybe she had a UTI or something.  I called the doctor, but I couldn't even hear the choices on the automated answering service because she was screaming so loud.  So, I called Griff, and basically screamed at him to call the doctor.  We got an appointment for 3:00, and he came home to check on her (and I think me, too).  She was in a diaper for the biggest chunk of this time, and it stayed dry. 

1:00ish - She wanted her diaper off, so I tried sitting her on the potty again, but she continued fussing.  She had about 3-4 little accidents all within a few minutes, and she was very upset about them. 

1:25 - Peed in the potty - well, she stood over the potty with her foot in it, and most of the pee went in the potty.  Does that count?

1:40 - Peed in the potty.  We decided that she was probably just scared to pee before, because after she went this time, she was back to her bubbly little self.  We canceled the dr. appointment.  Looking back, I bet what happened was when she went in the potty the first time (11:00ish), she was maybe a little bit scared or surprised, so she probably didn't go as much as she needed to (I do remember that being a small one).  So, I bet my poor baby just needed to pee for almost two hours, but was just terrified of going in the potty or in her panties.  Makes me sad that she was so miserable, but happy to realize the problem...at least what I think was the problem.

2:30-4:30 - Naptime in a Pull-Up, and she woke up dry!

4:40 - Peed in the potty!

6:30 - She was dancing around the living room in her birthday suit, and she obviously needed to pee, but again was scared to sit on the potty.  I tried every bribe I could think of to get her to sit, but she was not having it.  She was standing right by the potty when she started to pee, so I quickly put her on the potty.  Not exactly a success, but I rewarded her with M&M's because I wanted to make sure she knew that is what she was supposed to be doing.  It's like she knows when she needs to pee, she just doesn't know what do with it yet.

7:40 - Peed in her Pull-Up  during dinner (Daddy on duty)

8:00 - Bath and Bedtime (Daddy on duty)



Luckily, my wonderful husband came home to relieve me during the 6:30 accident, so after that mess was cleaned up, I went to the gym and left him with the peeing machine.  After my day today, running on a treadmill never sounded so appealing.  And I sure did have a skinny girl margarita with my dinner tonight.  Day 2 is easier, right?  On second thought...don't answer that.




*this post is completely unedited - any errors are due to exhaustion, laziness, or skinny girl ritas...possibly a combination of all three.

No comments:

Post a Comment