Sunday, July 12, 2009

Grandpa

This has been a hard week. My Grandpa passed away Friday morning. He struggled for many years with Emphysema and COPD, and after being in and out of the hospital numerous times, his lungs finally had all they could stand. His health started rapidly declining Tuesday morning, and by Tuesday afternoon, the hospice nurse didn’t expect him to make it through the night. Griff left work early to watch Isabelle so I could go visit Grandpa. When I arrived, he not only knew who I was, but he asked me how the little termite (referring to Isabelle) was doing. I saw him again Thursday night, after his condition had gotten much worse, and spent several hours with him and the rest of the family. It was so sad to watch him suffer in pain during his last days, but I’m so thankful that I had the opportunity to tell him that I loved him one last time. Grandpa came to visit Isabelle during her first week home, and since he was also on oxygen, we got a sweet picture of the two cannula buddies. A few days after his visit, he called me to check on Izzy. When I told him my only complaint was that she didn't want to sleep at night, he replied, "Well, if she wants to stay up all night, teach her to play poker." I'm so glad he was able to meet Izzy, and I know he’s up in Heaven now, peacefully holding our little Lily. Love you, Grandpa!

3 comments:

  1. Jenn, I am so sorry for your loss and will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, So sorry to hear of your loss. More T&Ps will be sent your family's way. So glad he got to meet and spend time with Isabelle though.
    ~Leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,
    We just got home and this is the first thing I read. It made me smile and cry at the same time. I think through the last few days, we have cried and laughed together a lot, even at the expense of the Gico man. Sometimes you have to search for the things to laugh at.

    I am also so glad daddy got to meet Izzy, but even more happy about the fact that he is holding Lily and giving mom a break from Ryan and Sarah. Can you imagine Heaven right now....

    I love you,

    Kerri

    ReplyDelete