Friday, July 3, 2009

Sleep Achieved!



After trying everything we could think of to get Isabelle to sleep in her bassinet, we decided to try, try again. We pulled the swaddler back out and gave it another try, and something magical happened. She calmed down, so we placed her in her bassinet, and she fell asleep!!! I was so excited that it actually worked that I couldn’t even sleep. I just kept taking pictures of her sleeping so I would have proof that she is capable of sleeping in her own bed. I know flashing a camera at a sleeping baby is not a good idea, but I couldn’t help myself.

Rachel, a friend of Griff’s from college, and now an email buddy of mine, recommended the book, Babywise. I bought the book the very next day, but of course I haven’t had a chance to read it. Rachel outlined the basic concept, which is feeding time, awake time, nap time repeated consistently throughout the day, cutting out the awake time at night. I’ve been attempting it, and have had great success during the day (thank you, Rachel!). Izzy eats, stays awake for about an hour, then I swaddle her and put her in her bassinet and she naps for about an hour and a half. I even put her in bed awake, but sleepy, and she just falls asleep. This has made our days much more predictable and has made Mommy much more pleasant to be around. Night time is still a little crazy. My system seems to fall apart around 7-8pm. But…I do have to report that two nights ago, she slept in her bassinet the ENTIRE night, of course waking to eat. I realize there’s no such thing as a perfect schedule for a newborn, and even if there is, it’s probably not accomplished after two weeks at home, but we’ve made some progress, and I’m happy with that.

One last thing - I asked Griff to attempt to keep Isabelle awake after she ate the other day. I told him to read a book to her or sing to her. So, I was in the bedroom, and from the living room I hear Griff singing his best rendition of Vanilla Ice’s Ice, Ice Baby to Isabelle. Maybe I should be more specific next time…

1 comment:

  1. Yay for better sleep! The general idea of BW was very helpful for me as well. Hope she continues to improve! And you should have gotten out the video camera for Griff's rendition of Ice Ice Baby!

    ReplyDelete