Thursday, November 17, 2011

World Prematurity Day

November is Prematurity Awareness month, and today marks the first official World Prematurity Day. Organizations like the March of Dimes use this day to spread awareness of the global problem of premature birth. On this special day, I would like to honor my teeny tiny baby doll. 

This is my baby who was born at 23 weeks 6 days gestation
This is my baby who weighed 1 pound 9 ounces
This is my baby who survived her twin sister's birth at 19 weeks gestation.

This is my baby I had to wait 2 weeks to hold.

This is my baby who required a gazillion machines to keep her alive.

This is my baby we had to alternate days holding because moving her out of her bed was exhausting for her little body.

This is my baby who spent the first month of her life on a ventilator, followed by 4 months of other types of respiratory support.




This is my baby who stole her daddy's heart before we even met her.

This is my baby whose MRI showed a cerebral hemorrhage.
This is my baby whose doctor guaranteed 100% chance of development problems.
This is my baby who underwent two eye surgeries to correct Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)

This is my baby who had a team of friends, family, and even strangers, on their knees in prayer for her daily.



This is my baby who finally got to go home when she was 4 months old, weighing 7 pounds.


This is my baby today: a healthy 2.5 year old with no developmental problems in sight


"I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move.  Nothing will be impossible for you."
~Matthew 17:20~

2 comments:

  1. I just had to say this is amazingly breath takingly beautiful, as the mother of only one suriving Quadruplet born at 24wks 4day (also at Harris 2.5 yrs ago) its heartfelt and touching to me to see how God has blessed your family too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No words...just tears. I remember reading your Caring Bridge site every day and just praying to God that Izzy come home. She is an angel. A real life, honest to goodness angel. And I'm so glad you have each other. :)

    ReplyDelete