Thursday, January 5, 2012

Resolutions


I struggled a bit on whether I even wanted to make a list of resolutions this year.  Just to remind you, I tried that last year, and I'll just let you guess how that turned out.  But then I thought to myself, "Why let an opportunity to start fresh pass me by?"  And here we are.  I really want to stay mindful of these goals all year, so I've kept the list short and realistic (at least I think so).

1. Be Healthy - Instead of putting tons of emphasis on weight, which is my usual M.O., I will concentrate on making healthier food choices (not only for myself, but also for my family), and I will make time for at least 4 workouts a week. Trust me when I say the workouts will be the easy part for me.

2. Read More - I am so sporatic when it comes to reading, but I do really enjoy it.  So, I resolve to turn the TV on less and pick up my Nook more.  I joined a book club, so that should help.  We read one book a month, and ideally I would love to read a second book on my own every month as well.  I won't beat myself up if this doesn't happen, but I think it's a good place to start.

3. Implement a Bible Reading/Study Plan - This is something I have been meaning to do for a while now, and I think it is time.  I know reading the entire bible, cover-to-cover, in a year is a popular New Year's resolution.  That's not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about consistently devoting at least 15 minutes of my day to reading/studying the bible.  I can't think of a better way to grow spiritually and strengthen my relationship with Christ than to immerse myself in the Word of God.  Let's be honest, if this is the only goal I accomplish this year, 2012 will be a great success!

4. Get Organized - I actually got a jumpstart on this goal with a few little areas of my closet, bathroom, and pantry, but I still have lots of spaces to tackle.  Yesterday, I was cleaning out the coupon drawer in the kitchen, and I found a stack of gift cards/store credit cards that I hadn't seen in over a year.  I almost threw them away, thinking they were probably just trash, but out of curiousity, I started calling to check the balances.  Turns out we had over $148 sitting in a drawer.  If that is not motivation to get my act together, I don't know what is.  Next big project: my craft closet.  Shudder.

5. More Quality Family Time - I'm not sure how it happens, but our calendar always seems to kick our butts.  It seems like our weekends are spent running around like crazy people, and our evenings together during the week just fly by.  So, I resolve to slow down and spend more quality time together this year.  Hubs achieved a huge career goal by making partner at his accounting firm this year, which makes me just about the proudest wife ever.  But along with his new responsibilities, inevitably come more working hours, so it is especially important that we set aside lots of fun family time. 

Whatcha think?  Doable?  

3 comments:

  1. I love making goals for a new year! Just the simple excercise of writing them down motivates me and Congrats to G! So proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing project345 which will have us finish the New Testament in a year. You can sign up and have the verses sent to your e-mail, or bookmark it and read it on-line. Our whole church is being encouraged to do it. You read the passage each day, and they say it takes 3 minutes and 45 seconds on average (thus project 345). Weekends are either catch up, or skip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kyla!

    That sounds like a good plan, Jane. I will look into it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete