Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Family Command Center


Welp, that didn't take long.  It seems I have picked up some sort of sinus/head cold that has drained me of every last bit of energy.  I made it to the gym yesterday, but only lasted about 30 minutes.  I decided I would stay home and rest today, and try to get back at it tomorrow.  The girls are in school from 9-12 today, and this is the first time I've had to myself at home in months!   They just started school last week, and I've been running errands (aka shopping) like a mad women whenever I don't have them.  The house is eerily quiet.  As soon as this is posted, I'm turning on HGTV and curling up on the couch in hopes of a nap.  Who am I kidding?  I may never make it to the gym again.

Ok, so to the point of this post.  I've been wanting to create some sort of family command center in our mudroom area.  It is right by the garage door, so we are in and out of this space all day.  It's where we drop our bags, jackets, shoes, etc.  It is definitely the hardest working space in our home.  We had a big empty wall that was begging for some function, so function it got.





The memo board and B are both from Hobby Lobby.  The chalkboard was a simple diy project using a Hobby Lobby picture frame and chalkboard vinyl.  The calendar is a Target purchase, the black frame is from Aaron Brothers, and the print is from a gallery art pad I picked up at Michael's.  



Have y'all seen these?  I think they are so smart.  I wouldn't necessarily use them all together in a gallery, but breaking them up and using them here and there is perfect.  They didn't have as many options at Michael's as they do online, but you can use your 40% off coupon in the store.  They are regularly $14.99, so with the coupon, it's less than $9 for a ton of cute prints!  I have purchased single prints from Etsy for $20.  This is blowing my mind.  




So, all of our activities for the month are on the calendar, and we use the chalkboard to jot down things as we run out of them so I can remember to add them to the grocery list every week.  I plan on using the memo board to display cute photos of the girls and post invitations for any upcoming birthday parties, weddings, etc.  Also in the works are reward/behavior charts for the girls that will be displayed at their height right under this gallery.  Nothing fancy, but it makes me feel a little more organized, and sanity trumps fancy any day.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I also LOVE the color of your wood floor, such a warm color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jenny! I originally thought I wanted a gray wash on the floors when we were building, but I'm so happy I went with the coffee brown color. It definitely warms up the house!

    ReplyDelete