Thursday, September 13, 2012

Harper's Striped Nursery

As soon as we found out we had been matched with Harper, I started planning her nursery.  I went over the top girly in Izzy's room (pink everywhere, chandelier, damask curtains, etc.), so I wanted Harper's nursery to have a totally different feel.  I knew I wanted stripes on the walls, in neutral colors, and fun pops of color to make the room fun and fitting for a little girl.  Once I found this picture, I was sold. 


Source

 
I love the blue and orange for a little boy, but my girl needs some pink.  Hey now, I can't totally get away from girly.  I saw this from Pottery Barn Kids, and loved the pink and green combo, but with a little more green and a little less pink.  By the way, this bedding set is called Harper.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Luckily this set comes in several colors, so I order the green quilt, skirt, sheet, and window valance. I learned with Izzy that shelling out $$ for a bumper was a waste because we never used it, and my very talented mom and aunt made Harper's curtain panels with some fabric from JoAnn's that is almost an identical match to the Pottery Barn panels. 

Source




Before I share the big reveal, Let's just take a look at what I was working with before, shall we? B.H. (Before Harper), this room was our guest room/junk room. It had never really been shown any love, and it was looking pretty sad. We got rid of the guest bed and all of our junk, and it immediately cheered up a bit, but it still needed some love. We decided to reuse Izzy's crib and an armoire from our bedroom that we were no longer using. Read more about where the armoire used to live here, here, and here.
 
Here she is.  In all her glory.  No?


Let's take a closer look at this crib

Ahh, yes.  It appears a baby goat used to sleep here.  The other side had matching bite marks.
This Thomasville armoire matches our master bedroom furniture. We no longer needed it in our room, but didn't want to get rid of it, so we made it work for the nursery.
I think we can all agree that this was a sad, mismatched situation. 
I can assure you, friends, this room is no longer sad.  I accented the room with pops of hot pink so that there would be no mistaking that a little girl sleeps here. This was such a fun room to plan and decorate, and I'm really happy with the end result. And don't tell Izzy, but I think I like it better than her room.  Okay friends, take a look at Harper's bright and happy nursery.   
 
 
I consider myself a somewhat crafty person, but I know my limits.  Painting precise stripes and furniture is one of them.  We hired a professional painter to paint the walls, the crib, and the armoire.  Worth every penny.



The perfect little spot to read to and rock my Harper girl.  Table from Ikea, lamp from Hobby Lobby, rug from Garden Ridge, quilt made by another one of my talented aunts, chair and ottoman from Amazon or Babies R US?  I forget.


Doesn't that armoire look so much better?  I love white furniture.  So bright and fresh.  The little dress hanging on the door is what we brought her home in.  The plan is to eventually purchase a shadow box for it to display on the wall.  Dresser/changing table is from Ikea.  Mirror is from Marshall's.
Love all the storage room!  Cubes from Target.
I replaced all the furniture knobs with these cute little guys from Hobby Lobby.

I just love this monogram.  It's one of my favorite things in the room.  I ordered these letters unfinished from a cute little Etsy shop called KyGrace Designs and painted them pink.
Got these frames at Aaron Brothers during their penny sale.  I filled them with scrapbook paper from Hobby Lobby, and voila.  Cheap and easy wall art. 


Shelves are from Target.  Hubs just loved hanging them for me.  By loved, I mean hated.  They were a B to hang.  Frames from Aaron Brothers, my owl friend hails from HomeGoods, chevron fabric, gold H, and pink H all from Hobby Lobby. 


A girl's gotta read.  Love these sweet bookends I found at HomeGoods.

And what would a little lady be without her bows?  A lady at a local shop made this bow holder for me.  Honestly, I would prefer not to display all the bows, but the girls have so many, and this just makes it easy to see all the choices when I'm getting the girls dressed. 


5 comments:

  1. What a precious room, Jen! You did an awesome job! Harper is a lucky little girl to have you for a Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gina! I'm definitely the lucky one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. Humpf. This room is beyond presh and makes me wish for you to come and do my girls' rooms! Adorable and making me feel like a slacker all at the same time. You win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, ladies! Kristen, you kill me!

    ReplyDelete