Monday, December 19, 2011

12 Days of Christmas - Day 7: Christmas DIY

I'm doubling up today since I missed a day this weekend.  Can't say I didn't see that coming.

I thought I would share with you some of my crafty little Christmas decorations.  Thanks to Pinterest, there are a gazillion DIY ideas available.  And I'm convinced you can make just about anything with a glue gun, styrofoam, and ribbon, so run to your nearest craft store and get your craft on. 

I actually made this a few years ago with my mom and sister.  These frames come unfinished at Michaels for $1, and you can find the tree there as well.  We just painted it and added some bling and a ribbon.   Of course, the cutest thing about this frame is that sweet baby's picture.  I can't even talk about how fast she is growing.  She's going to be driving like tomorrow.  I just know it. 

This wreath was an after Christmas Garden Ridge steal from a few years ago and has been living in my attic.  The ornaments are from Target's after Christmas sale last year, and the snowflakes came in an ornament set from Costco that I got this year.  Ribbon from Hob Lob.  I just played around with the arrangement and let the glue gun do the rest of the work.  I'm not 100% sold, but it works for now. 



I got this idea from Pinterest, but the addition of the wooden base and finial was my idea - does that count for anything?  Didn't think so.  Original ideas are overrated. 



Supplies - styrofoam cone, wooden finial, straight pins (all from Hob Lob), lots of ribbon (I actually had all of that, plus LOTS more - I have a problem)

 
You just cut the ribbon into little strips, fold them, and pin them on the cone. See my little helper girl back there?



Repeat over and over, and when you get to the top, just fold the ribbon over and pin directly to the top of the cone. You will be gluing the finial to the top to cover this part anyway.


 
You also need some cheap paint for the finial.


There she is, in all her glory. I think this is my favorite decoration this year. It's so fun and festive.



I have all the supplies for this project, just haven't found the time for it yet.  It may have to wait for next year.  Find the tutorial here.
[ornamentwreath7[5].jpg]

That's about as crafty as it gets around here.

1 comment:

  1. I love the ribbon tree, I'll have to remember that one for next year. I hope you get this post, my comments are disappearing after I write them and I can't tell if they are getting to you. On previous post I reminded you that we're having a big lunch, so don't eat too much of that sticky bun stuff.

    ReplyDelete